Manitoba Sports Betting
Manitoba's Sportsbook Launch & News Updates
Last updated: January 10, 2022
As the fifth-most populous Canadian province, single-game sports betting became available for Manitobans on Aug. 27, 2021, when Bill C-218 was put into effect. Wagers can be solely placed online on MLLC’s online lottery website, playnow.com. This page will be updated as the Manitoba single-game sports betting market continues to develop.
Manitoba Sports Betting Key Takeaways
|Is single-game sports betting available in Manitoba?||Single-game wagering is legal in Canada.|
|What sportsbooks are currently available in Manitoba?||PlayNow|
|Is there an ETA for more sportsbooks to come online?||Early 2022|
Manitoba Sportsbook Offers
Pro Teams to Bet on in Manitoba
Manitoba Sports Betting
Manitoba Legal Updates to Sports Betting Go-Live
Manitoba single-game sports betting went live on Aug. 27, 2021 in line with the other Canadian provinces.
As a partner of the British Columbia Lottery Corporation, the Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Corporation is offering PlayNow online sports betting for Manitobans.
Manitoba Sports Betting Timeline
On Aug. 27, legal single-game sports betting across Canada is available in person and PlayNow, Manitoba’s only online gaming site.
Game Sharks Gaming Centre, Winnipeg’s first and only gaming centre in downtown opens.
PlayNow.com launches and offers live sports betting, live poker, casino games, and lottery games. The Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Corporation and the British Columbia Lottery Corporation partnered to launch the first gaming site in Manitoba.
The Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Corporation formed under the Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation Act and the Manitoba Liquor and Gaming Control Act.
The Manitoba Lotteries Foundation (MLF) becomes the Manitoba Lotteries Corporation (MLC) as a government-owned entity, commonly known as a Crown corporation.
Sport Select sports wagering is launched, allowing Manitobans to place their wagers at casino retail locations across the province.
At Action, we’ve taken a look into Manitoba sports betting and found pros and cons.
Our Positives for Manitoba:
- Online and in-person sports betting is live.
- Regulated and trustworthy online sports betting platform.
- Manitobans can bet on PlayNow in Manitoba and British Columbia.
- MLLC provides GameSense, a provincial gambling awareness and education program for all casinos and PlayNow.
Our Negatives for Manitoba:
- PlayNow is the only legal sportsbook that is available to Manitobans.
- PlayNow does not offer Same Game Parlay on their platform.
- Offshore betting is prevalent due to the lack of provincial sportsbooks.
How to Start Betting in Manitoba
While Manitobans have limited options, they are finally able to participate in online single-game sports wagering through PlayNow, which was officially launched on August 27th, 2021. Additionally, players can choose to submit wagers in person via Sport Select at any WCLC video lottery terminal location.
Select a sportsbook
At this time, Manitobans are able to use PlayNow sportsbook to place single-game wagers online, as it is the only legalized sportsbook in Manitoba.
- Visit playnow.com and click on “sign up” on the top right corner of the site.
- Enter your personal information, such as your name, home address, date of birth, email address, and phone number.
- Choose your welcome bonus on the left-hand side of the registration page.
- Create a strong password.
- Create two security questions.
- Your account has been registered and you are now able to bet!
Funding an account can be done in a matter of minutes. Sportsbooks accept several payment methods.
|Method||Fee||Processing Time||Minimum Deposit|
Choose your bet types
With the arrival of single-game sports betting in Canada, local options will continually become more accessible to bettors. There are a variety of bet types from single to multi-game sports betting.
- Point Spreads. Spread betting is a bet on the margin of victory in a game. Point Spreads
- Moneylines. Moneyline betting is when you pick the winner of the game or event. Moneylines
- Totals. A total, also known as an over/under, is a bet on the number of points both teams will combine to score in a game. Totals
- Player Props. A prop bet, short for a proposition, wager that is not directly tied to the final score or outcome. Props Bets
Manitoba Pro Sports Teams to Bet On
There are two provincial professional sports teams to bet on in Manitoba. Although Manitoba has limited sports betting options, bettors will be able to bet on most of their favorite teams on PlayNow.
NHL Betting in Manitoba
The Winnipeg Jets' franchise first existed between 1972-1996 before becoming the Atlanta Thrashers in 1999. That didn't last too long, however, as financial and ownership issues put an end to the Thrashers' franchise in 2011 which led the franchise to transition back to Winnipeg.
Recommended resource to help you bet on hockey in Manitoba:
CFL Betting in Manitoba
Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are one of three community-owned CFL teams, currently looking to win their 12th Grey Cup after their most recent 2019 championship.
Club Regent Casino
Ownership: MLLC (Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Corporation) Games Operator: MLLC
South Beach Casino
Ownership: Black River, Bloodvein, Brokenhead, Hollow Water, Little Grand Rapids, Pauingassi, and Poplar River First Nations Games Operator: MLLC
McPhillips Station Casino
Ownership: MLLC Games Operator: MLLC
Sand Hills Casino
Ownership: Swan Lake First Nation Games Operator: MLLC
Shark Gaming Centre
Ownership: True North Sports and Entertainment Games Operator: MLLC